Saturday, October 17, 2009

My friend, Nate

I just recieved a message from my friend Nate who is a soldier in Iraq. Facebook is an amazing thing and despite all the bad about facebook, when used correctly, it can keep old friends in touch through many miles. Many, many miles.

Did you ever have a moment where you just all of a sudden realize a person's sacrifice? And God opens your eyes to the people in THAT person's life who make sacrifices? I just had one of those moments. My friend Nate misses all of us terribly. He is a part of our St. Luke's community, and I have known him since he was a teenager. Now he is a brave, young, man serving our country. He is a Civil Affairs Officer working as a Civil Team Leader in the Mosul Reconstruction Cell. I am not going to weigh you down with details, only tell you this, he is one of many who are trying to help build up Northern Iraq into a working, viable community. In Nate's own words they are:"nurturing economic development and progress, thus, turning the populace away from the path of insurrection and toward the rule of law."

Wow. I am bawling my eyes out thinking about what this brave, young man is doing. He had to leave his family, his friends, his faith community, and his absolutely beautiful girlfriend. I don't know his girlfriend, only have seen pictures but I have read what she writes to him on facebook, and I can tell you that this is a young woman who is beautiful, inside and out. She sacrifices too. She will be without him until May. God bless her loving heart.

It's easy to not even think about the sacrifices our American soldiers, armed services, etc, make every, single day for us. Until it hits home. Until the soldier is one of your own. And at the mission, when you are a part of that community, you are one of our own. Forever. I can now see the sacrifices up close. They are making the whole world a better place for all of mankind. They sacrifice so that others may have freedom. Not just their own countrymen, but freedom and justice for all. ALL.

I am so proud of my Nate. I am proud of his beautiful girlfriend whom I have never even met.

When we are sitting next to our loved ones tonight, munching on popcorn and watching movies, or in my case, the Sabres game, let's say a prayer for those who are sacrificing their lives.

Thank you Nate. I can't even wait to see you in May and give you the biggest hug. And bring your girl over. She's someone I would love to get to know!

God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment